Reasons for Breast Implant Revision
By Hadi Rassael on August 27, 2013
Breast augmentation has been a highly effective cosmetic treatment for women who are unhappy with the appearance of their breasts. Through breast augmentation, a woman does not have to live unhappily with breasts that she deems to be too small, saggy, or misshaped. Most patients are happy with the results of their breast augmentation and wish that they had undergone the procedure earlier.
While not common, not every patient will achieve their desired results after undergoing breast augmentation surgery. Natural changes in the breasts, age, breast implant type, breast implant size, and complications after surgery among other factors may cause a patient to no longer be happy with the results of her breast augmentation. Women that are unhappy with the size, shape, or feel of their breasts after undergoing breast augmentation may benefit from breast implant revision.
Reasons for Breast Implant Revision
At his practice in Washington DC, cosmetic surgeon Hadi Michael Rassael performs breast implant revision to help patients achieve their desired contours. There are many reasons that a woman may no longer be happy with the results of her previous breast augmentation, including:
- Changes in the breasts: The breasts go through many natural changes. These natural changes can affect the appearance and feel of the breasts and may cause a woman to no longer be happy with the results of her previous breast augmentation. Gaining weight, losing weight, pregnancy, nursing, and the hormonal changes that occurs leading up to and during a woman’s period can affect the size, shape, and feel of the breasts.
- Age: It is natural for the breasts to begin to sag as a woman grows older. Breast implants do not prevent the breasts from sagging. Sagging breasts can affect the position of the implants.
- Capsular contracture: This painful condition occurs when the scar tissue surrounding the implant contracts. The contraction of the scar tissue gives the breasts an unnatural appearance. Capsular contracture can be quite painful.
- Implant size: The most common reason a woman undergoes breast implant revision is because she is unhappy with the size of her breast implants. The vast majority of women who undergo breast implant revision for this reason desire larger breast implants.
- Age of the implants: Breast implants are not designed to last a lifetime. Women that have had their breast implants for 10, 15, or 20 years may choose to have their implants replaced. The implant options available today can help patients achieve the contours they desire.
- Removal of implants: Some patients change their minds and no longer desire to have implants. Breast implant revision can be performed to remove the breast implants. When removing implants, breast lift surgery may be necessary.
- Ruptured or deflated implants: Sometimes an implant will rupture or deflate. In such cases, breast implant revision must be performed. It is essential that a patient undergoes breast implant revision immediately upon discovering that her implant has ruptured.
Schedule a Consultation
If you are unhappy with the results of a previous breast augmentation procedure, you may benefit from breast implant revision. To learn more about breast implant revision and how it may benefit you, or to schedule a consultation, please contact Millennium Medical today. Dr. Rassael looks forward to helping you look and feel your very best.
Related to This
“I highly recommend them for any type of surgery. No matter where you are in the world, this doctor and his team are the best to visit.” Neneh K.