Candidacy for Breast Augmentation
Breast augmentation is the second most popular cosmetic surgery procedure in the world, closely following liposuction. Each year, an increasing number of women benefit from an enhanced figure and satisfaction with their breasts. For the procedure to produce successful and long lasting results, patients must first learn whether they are proper candidates for breast augmentation. By assessing potential candidates’ goals, health, and expectations, we can help our patients in the Chevy Chase area decide if breast augmentation is right for them.
Why Undergo Breast Augmentation?
Every woman has different reasons for undergoing breast augmentation. These reasons may vary, but they are equally valid. Candidates for breast augmentation may have any of the following goals in mind:
- A personal desire for larger breasts
- Improving the body’s curvature
- Improving breast symmetry
- Restoring volume and firmness
- Breast reconstruction
Potential candidates may not yet be ready for the procedure if they expect perfect results or seek augmentation as more of an emotional solution than a physical one. When consulting a doctor, keep in mind that breast augmentation can produce rewarding results, but only if you maintain realistic expectations about the capabilities of cosmetic surgery.
In general, a good candidate for breast augmentation is surgery is one who is in good health. Any lingering infections or diseases should be dealt with prior to the procedure, as a compromised immune system heightens the risk of complications during and after surgery. Patients with a chronic illness that affects their immune system, such as diabetes, liver disease, or heart disease, should speak with their doctor on how this may affect recovery.
Candidates should also be 18 or older if they are planning on receiving saline implants, while silicone implants require candidates to be at least 22 years old. This allows patients to more fully develop before receiving implants, thus limiting complications.
In general, a good candidate for breast augmentation surgery is one who is in good health.
Candidates should also take the following precautions regarding their health:
- Screen for cancer: Women over 40 should make a habit of screening for breast cancer annually, simply as a preventative health measure. However, it is especially important for older women to receive a mammogram if they are considering breast augmentation.
- Finish pregnancy or breast feeding: Women who are currently pregnant or breast feeding should wait to undergo breast augmentation.
- Know your allergies: If you know that you are allergic to certain types of anesthesia, consult your surgeon on the best way to anesthetize or sedate you for the procedure.
Make An Appointment with Us
To determine your candidacy for breast augmentation, speak with Dr. Rassael about your own expectations for surgery. Together, you can decide on the right course of action to achieve your goals. Contact our office to schedule a consultation with one of the area’s premier cosmetic surgeons. Dr. Rassael will perform a physical exam, discuss your medical history, and ask you about your goals to determine if you are a good candidate for treatment.